BBC News (World)
24.9K subscribers
1.46K photos
83.3K links
News, features and analysis from the World's newsroom.

Disclaimer: broadcasting from bbc.co.uk and; not an official channel.

Paid promote:
- @fLyerobot
Download Telegram
Canada offers up to $40bn to compensate indigenous children

Canada has pledged up to C$40bn ($31bn; £23.6bn) in compensation for indigenous children and families who suffered discrimination while in foster care.

In September, a top court upheld a 2016 ruling that the government underfunded First Nations services compared with those for non-indigenous children.

It ordered C$40,000 ($31,350; £23,340) payouts to each child who was in the on-reserve welfare system after 2006.

The government initially said it would appeal the verdict.

But it has come under intense public scrutiny after the discovery of over 1,100 unmarked graves at the sites of former residential schools.

Until as recently as 1996, Canada's residential school system separated indigenous children from their families and sent them to boarding schools where many were malnourished, beaten and sexually abused.
Alibaba fires woman who claimed sexual assault

Chinese e-commerce firm Alibaba has fired a woman who said a colleague and a client had sexually assaulted her.

The dismissal letter said she had spread falsehoods that had damaged the company's reputation.

The employee went public with her allegations in August because she said Alibaba had failed to take action. She said the assaults took place during a business trip.

The colleague was then sacked, but a criminal case against him was dropped.

The client is still thought to be under police investigation.

The well-publicised case has highlighted the harassment faced by women in the workplace in China.

The employee told government-backed newspaper Dahe Daily that she was fired late last month. It published a copy of what she said was her termination letter.

The letter said she had spread false information about the assault and about the company not handling the case.
Paris' largest taxi firm suspends Tesla Model 3 cars after fatal crash

Paris' largest taxi firm, G7, has suspended Model 3 Teslas from its fleet, after one was involved in a fatal accident over the weekend.

One person was killed and another 20 injured, after a driver lost control of the vehicle.

Tesla has denied any technical problem with the car, after checking its data remotely.

Paris prosecutors have opened an investigation into charges of manslaughter and unintentional injury.

The accident involved an off-duty taxi driver who had been taking his family to a restaurant, reports say.

French media said the vehicle struck two pedestrians, a traffic light and a van.

Tesla's assistive technology allows its vehicles to automatically steer, accelerate and brake.
Hong Kong: Fire at World Trade Centre leaves more than 100 trapped on roof

More than 100 people have been trapped on the roof of Hong Kong's World Trade Centre awaiting rescue after a fire broke out on Wednesday.

Hong Kong police confirmed to the BBC that at least eight people were injured and had been sent to hospital.

Police said the fire broke out in the machine room and moved to the scaffolding around the building. The building is currently under renovation.

No fatalities have been reported and rescue operations are still under way.

The eight who are injured are aged between 31 and 72. A total of 150 people have been evacuated so far, according to authorities.
Covid: France to drastically restrict travel from UK

France is tightening Covid restrictions for travellers arriving from the UK, as the government in Paris tries to slow the spread of the Omicron variant.

The French prime minister's office said that from Saturday all non-residents would have to give a compelling reason for travelling to France.

All arrivals would have to provide a negative Covid test less than 24 hours old and isolate for at least two days.

Confirmed Omicron cases are currently much higher in the UK than in France.

The UK recorded 78,610 new Covid cases on Wednesday - the highest daily number reported since the start of the pandemic.

Slightly more than 10,000 have been confirmed as Omicron, but it is thought that about twice that number are cases of the new variant.
Dutch royals regret holding party amid surge in Covid cases

The Dutch royal family has expressed regret over last week's birthday party for the heir-apparent to the country's throne amid surging Covid cases.

The family said 21 guests - all vaccinated and tested - attended Princess Amalia's 18th birthday party in the palace gardens last Saturday.

The guests were also required to follow social distancing.

But King Willem-Alexander later admitted to Prime Minister Mark Rutte that the party was not appropriate.

"The King informed me that on reflection it was not a good idea to organise [the gathering]," Mr Rutte wrote in a letter to parliament.

"The family strived to treat the coronavirus rules responsibly with this outdoor gathering and by taking precautions," Mr Rutte added.

The Netherlands is currently under strict coronavirus restrictions after the country saw a surge in cases in November.
Reddit: Social media platform files to go public

Social media platform Reddit has announced that it has started the process to sell its shares on the stock market.

In a confidential filing, it did not reveal how many shares it planned to sell or the price of the shares.

In August, the company said it had raised $700m (£528m) in new funding, valuing it at more than $10bn.

Reddit was at the centre of the so-called "meme stock" phenomenon earlier this year.

"The initial public offering is expected to occur after the SEC completes its review process, subject to market and other conditions," Reddit said in a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.
AI argues for and against itself in Oxford Union debate

The Oxford Union has heard from many great debaters over the years, but this week added an artificial intelligence engine to its distinguished speakers.

The AI argued that the only way to stop such tech becoming too powerful is to have "no AI at all".

But it also argued the best option could be to embed it "into our brains as a conscious AI".

The experiment was designed to ignite conversation on the ethics of the technology.

The Megatron LLB Transformer, used for the debate, was developed by the Applied Deep Research team at computer chip firm Nvidia and based on earlier work by Google.

It was given access to a huge range of data - including the whole of Wikipedia, 63 million English news articles from 2016 to 2019, and 38 gigabytes worth of Reddit chat.
Anti-5G necklaces found to be radioactive

Necklaces and accessories claiming to "protect" people from 5G mobile networks have been found to be radioactive.

The Dutch authority for nuclear safety and radiation protection (ANVS) issued a warned about ten products it found gave off harmful ionising radiation.

It urged people not to use the products, which could cause harm with long-term wear.

There is no evidence that 5G networks are harmful to health.

The World Health Organization says 5G mobile networks are safe, and not fundamentally different from existing 3G and 4G signals.

Mobile networks use non-ionising radio waves that do not damage DNA.
GirlsDoPorn victims win rights to their videos

Hundreds of people tricked into making explicit videos for porn websites have been awarded the rights to the videos and millions of dollars in damages.

The sites, GirlsDoPorn and GirlsDoToys, had been the subject of a long-running legal battle.

The US Department of Justice has ruled that rights to videos and images produced by the now-defunct sites belong to the women.

More than 400 victims can now ask for the online footage to be removed.

They are likely to enforce notices ordering the firms, including Pornhub and Google, to take down the material.

GirlsDoPorn producer Ruben Andre Garcia was sentenced in the summer to 20 years in federal prison for coercing women into appearing in sex videos.
Man beaten to death for 'sacrilege' attempt at Sikh Golden Temple in India

Police in the Indian city of Amritsar say a man suspected of trying to commit a sacrilegious act at Sikhism's holiest shrine has been beaten to death.

The incident took place during a prayer service at the city's Golden Temple on Saturday, according to local media.

The man allegedly barged into the inner sanctum, where Sikhism's holy book, the Guru Granth Sahib, is kept.

He then tried to touch a ceremonial sword placed next to the book, but was overpowered by guards and worshippers.

The scuffle took place at around 17:45 local time (11:45 GMT), and was captured on camera as evening prayers were being broadcast on television.

It is unclear exactly what happened next. Police said the man was found dead once officers arrived at the scene, and an investigation is under way.
West Bank ambush suspects captured, Israel says

Israel has announced the capture of Palestinian men suspected of carrying out a deadly attack on a car carrying Israelis in the occupied West Bank on Thursday.

An army statement said they had also found the weapon used in the attack.

A 25-year-old passenger, Yehuda Dimentman, was killed and two other occupants were wounded in the shooting near a Jewish settlement in the north.

The incident follows a recent spike in Palestinian attacks on Israelis.
US sanctions drone-maker DJI

The US has imposed more restrictions on Chinese drone-maker DJI and seven other Chinese companies.

On Thursday, the Treasury Department put the companies on an investment exclusion list, banning US citizens from buying and selling shares in them.

It has been alleged that DJI's drone technology has been used for the surveillance of Uyghur Muslims in China.

However the ban is largely symbolic as DJI is not a publicly-traded company.

Consumers in the US can continue to buy and use DJI drones.
Tortured to death: Myanmar mass killings revealed

The Myanmar military carried out a series of mass killings of civilians in July that resulted in the deaths of at least 40 men, a BBC investigation has found.

Eyewitnesses and survivors said that soldiers, some as young as 17, rounded up villagers before separating the men and killing them. Video footage and images from the incidents appear to show most of those killed were tortured first and buried in shallow graves.

The killings took place in July, in four separate incidents in Kani Township - an opposition stronghold in Sagaing District in Central Myanmar.

It's thought the killings were a collective punishment for attacks by militia groups demanding a return to democracy following a military coup in February. A spokesman for the military government did not deny the allegations.
UK donates 225 million stolen passwords to hack-checking site

UK law enforcement has donated a tranche of 225 million unique passwords to a cyber-security project helping to protect users from hacking.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) recovered the database from cyber-criminals who had collected real users' email addresses and passwords.

That list has been added to free online service Have I Been Pwned (HIBP).

It lets anyone search through hundreds of millions of passwords to see if theirs is in the hands of criminals.

Troy Hunt, the security researcher who runs the site, announced on Friday that it now has a "pipeline" function for law enforcement to add passwords they have recovered to the service.
Boeing and Airbus warn US over 5G safety concerns

Bosses from the world's two biggest plane makers have called on the US government to delay the rollout of new 5G phone services.

In a letter, top executives at Boeing and Airbus warned that the technology could have "an enormous negative impact on the aviation industry."

Concerns have previously been raised that C-Band spectrum 5G wireless could interfere with aircraft electronics.

US telecoms giants AT&T and Verizon are due to deploy 5G services on 5 January.

"5G interference could adversely affect the ability of aircraft to safely operate," said the bosses of Boeing and Airbus Americas, Dave Calhoun and Jeffrey Knittel, in a joint letter to US Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.
McDonald's faces a French fries shortage in Japan

The world's biggest fast food company McDonald's is suffering a chip shortage in Japan due to the global supply chain crisis.

For the home of the Big Mac though it is not a lack of semiconductors that is causing the problem.

The firm has said it is experiencing delays of shipments of the potatoes used to make its famous French fries.

As a result it will only sell small portions of its French fries in Japan from Friday until 30 December.

"McDonald's Japan will temporarily limit sales of Medium- and Large-sized French Fries as a proactive measure to ensure customers can continue to enjoy McDonald's French Fries.

"Customers will still be able to order Small-sized French Fries at all of our restaurants. To date, there have been no breaks in supply," the company told the BBC.
Brigitte Macron to sue over false claims she was born male

Brigitte Macron is set to take legal action over an internet conspiracy theory that she is a transgender woman and was born male.

The French first lady has been targeted on social media with the false claims, after they were published on a far-right website in September then circulated by conspiracy theorists.

The rumours claim she was born male under the name Jean-Michel Trogneux.

The name has trended on social media with tens of thousands of mentions.

A lawyer for Mrs Macron - who is the mother of three adult children from her first marriage - confirmed she is taking action.

"She has decided to initiate proceedings, it is in progress," lawyer Jean Ennochi confirmed to the AFP news agency.
Big tech names withdraw from Las Vegas CES conference

Amazon, Facebook and Twitter are among firms to announce that they will not send teams to the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), due to take place in Las Vegas in January.

It comes as concerns grow about the spread of the Omicron variant of Covid-19.

Other firms, including Google and self-drive unit Waymo, still plan to attend.

The organisers said the conference would run from 5 January for four days, with health precautions.

Those will include proof of vaccination, mask-wearing, and on-site Covid testing.

Attendees will need to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, and the organisers recommend a test before departing for Las Vegas, as well as within 24 hours of entering one of the venues.
Intel apologises to China over supplier advice

US microchip maker Intel has apologised following a backlash over its letter urging suppliers not to source products or labour from China's Xinjiang region.

The company's letter sparked criticism in China, with calls for a boycott.

The letter said Intel had been "required to ensure" its supply chain did not use labour or source goods from Xinjiang, following restrictions imposed by "multiple governments".

China has been accused of human rights abuses in Xinjiang.

The region is home to many of country's Muslim Uyghur population and there have been allegations of forced labour and possibly genocide.
Hong Kong universities remove more monuments marking Tiananmen

Two more Hong Kong universities have taken down monuments commemorating the Tiananmen massacre.

The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) tore down a Goddess of Democracy statue, while Lingnan University removed a relief sculpture.

It comes a day after Hong Kong University removed a famous statue marking the same event.

The monuments' removal comes as Beijing has increasingly been cracking down on political dissent in Hong Kong.

The Goddess of Democracy statue was modelled after the original statue erected by Chinese students in 1989 and paraded in Tiananmen Square just before the crackdown.

In 1989, Beijing's Tiananmen Square became the focus for demonstrations calling for greater political freedoms. Thousands of people camped for weeks in the square, but in June the military moved in and troops opened fire.