BBC News (World)
25K subscribers
1.46K photos
83.3K links
News, features and analysis from the World's newsroom.

Disclaimer: broadcasting from bbc.co.uk and; not an official channel.

Paid promote:
- @fLyerobot
Download Telegram
Netflix cuts prices for subscribers in more than 30 countries

Streaming giant Netflix has cut prices in more than 30 countries as it attempts to attract more subscribers.

Prices have been cut in parts of Asia, Europe, Latin America, sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East.

It comes as the rising cost of living sees households tightening their belts and Netflix faces increased competition from rival services.

"Members have never had more choices when it comes to entertainment," a company spokesperson told the BBC.

Countries in which subscription charges have been lowered include Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines, Croatia, Venezuela, Kenya and Iran. read more
Moldova warns of Russian 'psy-ops' as tensions rise

Moldova's leaders have rejected Russian claims that Ukraine is planning to attack the country's breakaway pro-Russian territory, and called for calm.

Russia's defence ministry alleged, with no evidence, that Ukrainian saboteurs, dressed as Russian troops, would attack from Transnistria, to provide a pretext for a Ukrainian invasion.

Moldova has warned for weeks that Russia is plotting to seize power.

And officials rejected Russia's claims as "psy-ops" as part of the war.

"The defence ministry believes it is an element of a psychological operation rather than a real plan," said state secretary Valeriu Mija. read more
Ukraine war: Zelensky wants Xi Jinping meeting following China's peace plan

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has said he plans to meet China's leader Xi Jinping to discuss Beijing's proposals on ending the war in Ukraine.

Speaking on the first anniversary of Russia's full-scale invasion, he said the proposal signalled that China was involved in the search for peace.

"I really want to believe that China will not supply weapons to Russia," he said.

China's plan calls for peace talks and respect for national sovereignty.

However, the 12-point document does not specifically say that Russia must withdraw its troops from Ukraine, and it also condemns the usage of "unilateral sanctions", in what is seen as a veiled criticism of Ukraine's allies in the West.

The Chinese authorities have so far not publicly responded to Mr Zelensky's call for a summit with Mr Xi. read more
Mardi Gras: Australia's PM Anthony Albanese first to join march

Anthony Albanese has become Australia's first sitting prime minister to take part in Sydney's Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade - one of the biggest events of its kind in the world.

Huge crowds packed the city's Oxford Street as more than 12,000 participants and 200 floats passed by.

It is the first time the parade has been held in its traditional form since 2019 due to Covid restrictions.

"This is a celebration of modern Australia," Mr Albanese said.

He added that it was "unfortunate" that he was the country's first leader to march in the parade while in office. read more
Turkey earthquakes: Collapsed buildings investigation widens

More than 600 people are now being investigated in Turkey over buildings that collapsed in the deadly earthquake on 6 February, the government has said.

On Saturday, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said 184 suspects - including construction contractors and property owners - had already been arrested.

For years, experts warned that endemic corruption and government policies meant many new buildings were unsafe.

The confirmed death toll in Turkey and Syria has now exceeded 50,000. read more
Italy shipwreck: At least 59 migrants killed off Calabria coast

At least 59 migrants, including 12 children, have died and dozens more are feared missing after their boat sank in rough seas off southern Italy.

The overloaded vessel broke apart while trying to land with at least 150 people aboard near the coastal town of Crotone in the Calabria region.

Many bodies have been recovered from the beach at a nearby seaside resort.

Large numbers of people fleeing conflict and poverty make the crossing from Africa to Italy each year.

A baby thought to be only a few months old was among the dead, according to Italy's Ansa news agency. Interior Minister Matteo Piantedosi, who visited the scene, said as many as 30 people may still be missing. read more
Nigeria election 2023: Early results arriving

Early results have started to arrive from Nigeria's tightest election since the end of military rule in 1999.

Official results from the south-western Ekiti state show a clear victory for ruling party candidate Bola Tinubu in one of his strongholds.

Further results will not be formally announced until 10:00 GMT.

Following widespread delays and attacks on some polling stations on Saturday, voting was postponed until Sunday in parts of the country.

Voting continued through the night in some areas.

Turnout appears to be high, especially among young people who make up about a third of the 87 million eligible voters.

This makes it the biggest democratic exercise in Africa. read more
Italy migrant boat shipwreck: More than 100 people feared dead

There are fears that more than 100 people, including children, have died after their boat sank in rough seas off southern Italy.

At least 62 migrants are confirmed to have died, with 12 children said to be among the victims, including a baby.

The vessel, thought to have carried some 200 people, broke apart while trying to land near Crotone on Sunday.

People from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria, Iraq and Iran were said to be on board.

Bodies were recovered from the beach at a nearby seaside resort in the Calabria region.

The coastguard said 80 people had been found alive, "including some who managed to reach the shore after the sinking", meaning many more remain unaccounted for. read more
Settlers rampage in West Bank villages after Israelis killed

Israeli settlers have attacked Palestinian villages in the northern occupied West Bank, after two settlers were shot dead by a Palestinian gunman.

One Palestinian man was killed and more than 100 others were injured in the violence near Nablus on Sunday night, the Palestinian health ministry said.

Dozens of cars and houses were also burnt, according to a local official.

It followed the killings of the two Israelis - brothers from a nearby settlement - along a highway.

The Israeli military said it was continuing to search for the Palestinian who shot Hillel Yaniv, 22, and Yagel Yaniv, 20, and that it had moved in hundreds of extra troops. read more
Canada bans TikTok on government devices

Canada will ban video app TikTok from all government-issued devices starting on Tuesday.

The decision follows a review by Canada's chief information officer, and the app "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security", a government spokesperson said in a statement.

A TikTok spokesperson said the company was disappointed by the decision.

It comes just days after the European Commission announced a similar ban. read more
Iran investigates poisoning of hundreds of schoolgirls with toxic gas

Almost 700 girls have been poisoned by toxic gas in Iran since November, in what many believe is a deliberate attempt to force their schools to shut.

No girls have died, but dozens have suffered respiratory problems, nausea, dizziness and fatigue.

"It became evident that some people wanted all schools, especially girls' schools, to be closed down," the deputy health minister said on Sunday.

However, he later said that his remarks had been misunderstood.

The prosecutor general announced last week that he was opening a criminal investigation. However, he said that the available information only indicated "the possibility of criminal and premeditated acts". read more
Carnage after trains collide near Greek city of Larissa

At least 32 people have died and dozens more injured after two trains collided in northern Greece, emergency services say.

A train said to be carrying around 350 passengers hit a freight train travelling in the opposite direction near the city of Larissa late on Tuesday night.

Rescuers have been working through the night to find survivors, the fire service said.

The cause of the crash is not known.

The passenger train had been travelling from Athens to the northern city of Thessaloniki when it crashed head-on with the other train, leading to a fire in at least one of the carriages. read more
Station master arrested after dozens killed in Greece train crash

We're just hearing now the station master of the city of Larissa has been charged with manslaughter by negligence.

Police say the 59-year-old has also been charged with grievous bodily harm by negligence.

The station master, who is in charge of signalling, denies any wrongdoing and has blamed the accident on a possible technical failure.

Investigators are trying to find out why the two trains were on the same track when they crashed near Larissa. read more
Man arrested after explosive found in luggage at US airport

FBI agents have arrested a man who allegedly brought an explosive device to a Pennsylvania airport on Monday.

Mark Muffley, 40, is accused of putting the device in his checked bag for a flight to Orlando, Florida.

He fled the airport after his name was called over the loud speaker, agents say, and was arrested at home later that evening.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officials say they spotted the device during a routine screening.

Officials say Mr Muffley checked in for Allegiant Air Flight 201 at Lehigh Valley International Airport, 65 miles (105km) north of Philadelphia, on Monday morning.

About an hour later, TSA screeners discovered the suspicious item and called FBI specialists, including a bomb technician, to examine the device. read more
Greece train crash: Rail workers strike as anger over crash grows

Rail workers across Greece have begun a one-day strike after Tuesday's train crash which killed at least 43 people.

"Pain has turned into anger for the dozens of dead and wounded colleagues and fellow citizens," the workers' union said in a statement.

The walkout follows protests in Athens, Thessaloniki and the city of Larissa, near the site of the disaster.

Rescue workers are still going through burned and buckled carriages, searching for victims.

This was the "most difficult moment", rescuer Konstantinos Imanimidis told Reuters news agency, as "instead of saving lives, we have to recover bodies". read more
Putin accuses Ukraine of border 'terrorist act' in Russian village

Russian President Vladimir Putin says a Ukrainian sabotage group entered a Russian border region on Thursday and opened fire on civilians in a "terrorist act".

The governor of Bryansk region said "saboteurs from Ukraine" had fired at a civilian car in Lyubechane, a border village, killing two men and wounding a 10-year-old boy.

Kyiv strongly denied the Russian claim.

The alleged incident has not been independently verified.

Mykhaylo Podolyak, an adviser to Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky, tweeted that it was "a classic deliberate provocation". "RF [Russia] wants to scare its people to justify the attack on another country," he said. read more
Kem Sokha: Cambodia opposition leader given 27-year sentence for treason

Cambodia's most prominent opposition leader has been sentenced to 27 years under house arrest for treason.

Kem Sokha, the former leader of the now-dissolved Cambodian National Rescue Party, has also been barred from standing or voting in elections.

He was accused of conspiring with foreign powers to overthrow Prime Minister Hun Sen's government.

Hun Sen is one of the world's longest-serving autocrats, who has been in power since 1985.

Cambodia will hold a general election in July. Most expect he will run again, although some believe he is planning to hand over power to his eldest son, Hun Manet. read more
Ukraine latest: Numerous Bakhmut attacks still being repelled, says Kyiv

Numerous attacks have been repelled in the area of eastern Donetsk over the last 24 hours, Ukraine's military says.

Russian forces claim they are about to take the eastern city of Bakhmut - the focus of intense fighting for many months.

The head of Russia's Wagner private army claims it is "practically encircled" with limited routes out.

And the UK Ministry of Defence said Bakhmut is under "increasingly severe" pressure. read more
Bakhmut: Fighting in the street but Russia not in control - deputy mayor

Russian and Ukrainian forces are fighting in the streets of Bakhmut - but Russia does not control the eastern city, its deputy mayor has said.

Oleksandr Marchenko also told the BBC the remaining 4,000 civilians are living in shelters without access to gas, electricity or water.

Mr Marchenko said "not a single building" had remained untouched and that the city is "almost destroyed".

Bakhmut has seen months of fighting, as Russia tries to take charge.

"There is fighting near the city and there are also street fights," Mr Marchenko said. read more
Two Sessions: China looks at reforms to deepen Xi Jinping control

Xi Jinping is set to deepen his control of China's government and economy, as lawmakers meet in Beijing to pass far-reaching reforms.

The National People's Congress (NPC), a rubber-stamp parliament, will confirm Mr Xi's third term as president, and the appointments of his top team.

They will also name a new premier, the second-in-command after Mr Xi, as the incumbent Li Keqiang departs.

The Two Sessions, as the meetings are known, are an annual affair.

But this year's sessions are particularly significant as delegates are expected to reshape several key Communist Party and state institutions. read more
China boosts military budget while warning of escalating threats

China will increase military spending by more than 7% this year, while warning of "escalating" threats.

It was announced at the National People's Congress (NPC), a rubber-stamp parliament, which is due to confirm President Xi Jinping's third term.

Beijing's military budget - around $225bn (£186bn) - is still dwarfed by that of the United States, which is four times greater.

But analysts believe China downplays how much it spends on defence.

Outgoing Premier Li Keqiang told the NPC that "external attempts to suppress and contain China are escalating".

"The armed forces should intensify military training and preparedness across the board," he said. read more