BBC News (World)
24.9K subscribers
1.46K photos
83.3K links
News, features and analysis from the World's newsroom.

Disclaimer: broadcasting from bbc.co.uk and; not an official channel.

Paid promote:
- @fLyerobot
Download Telegram
Queen Elizabeth II has died

Queen Elizabeth II, the UK's longest-serving monarch, has died at Balmoral aged 96, after reigning for 70 years.

She died peacefully on Thursday afternoon at her Scottish estate, where she had spent much of the summer.

The Queen came to the throne in 1952 and witnessed enormous social change.

Her son King Charles III said the death of his beloved mother was a "moment of great sadness" for him and his family and that her loss would be "deeply felt" around the world.

He said: "We mourn profoundly the passing of a cherished sovereign and a much-loved mother. read more
Queen Elizabeth II: World leaders remember a 'kind-hearted Queen'

World leaders and dignitaries have been paying tribute to Queen Elizabeth II, who has died at the age of 96.

They have honoured her deep sense of duty and her resilience, as well as the Queen's sense of humour and kindness.

France's Emmanuel Macron led the tributes, remembering "a kind-hearted queen" who was "a friend of France".

US President Joe Biden first met Her Majesty 40 years ago and described her as "more than a monarch - she defined an era".

Remembering his visit to the UK in 2021 as president, Mr Biden said "she charmed us with her wit, moved us with her kindness, and generously shared with us her wisdom". read more
Charles formally confirmed as king in ceremony televised for first time

Charles III has been proclaimed as king at a ceremony at St James's Palace.

Charles became king immediately following the death of his mother Queen Elizabeth II, but a historic meeting formally confirmed his role on Saturday.

During the Accession Council, the King approved the day of the Queen's funeral becoming a bank holiday, although it is not known when it will take place.

It is the first time the historic ceremony has been televised.

The King himself was not present to begin with, but he attended the second part of the ceremony to hold his first meeting of the Privy Council, the group of senior politicians who advise the monarch. read more
Kharkiv offensive: Ukrainian army says it has tripled retaken area

Ukraine's military says its forces have retaken over 3,000 sq km (1,158 sq miles) during a rapid counter-offensive in eastern Ukraine.

The remarkable advance, if confirmed, means Kyiv's forces have tripled their stated gains in little over 48 hours.

On Thursday evening, President Zelensky put the figure at 1,000 sq km, and then 2,000 sq km on Saturday evening.

The BBC cannot verify the Ukrainian figures, and journalists have been denied access to the frontlines. read more
Ukraine war: Kharkiv blackouts caused by targeted Russian attacks - Zelensky

Russia aims to "deprive people of light and heat" by causing power cuts across eastern Ukraine in revenge for a Ukrainian counter-offensive, President Volodymyr Zelensky has said.

Blackouts reportedly affected millions of people in the eastern Kharkiv and Donetsk regions. The Kharkiv city mayor says power is now restored.

It comes after Ukraine said it had retaken over 3,000 sq km (1,158 sq miles) in an eastern counter-offensive.

The BBC cannot verify these figures. read more
Ukraine war: Russians 'outnumbered 8-1' in counter-attack

Ukrainian forces outnumbered Russians by eight to one in last week's counter-attack in the Kharkiv region, Russia's top occupation official there says.

Vitaly Ganchev told Russian TV that Ukraine's army had taken villages in the north and broken through to the Russian border.

Ukraine says it has regained control over 3,000 sq km (1,158 sq miles) of territory in a potential breakthrough in the six-month war.

The BBC cannot verify these figures. read more
Ukraine war: We've retaken 6,000 sq km from Russia, says Zelensky

Ukrainian forces have seized even more territory from Russia as they continue their counter-offensive, the country's president has said.

Volodymyr Zelensky said troops have now retaken more than 6,000 sq km (2,317 sq miles) from Russian control in September, in the east and the south.

The BBC cannot verify these figures.

Russia has admitted losing key cities in the north-eastern Kharkiv region, in what is seen by some military experts as a potential breakthrough in the war.

Moscow describes its troop withdrawal from the region in recent days as a "regrouping" with the aim of focusing on the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in Ukraine's east. read more
Ukraine war: Accounts of Russian torture emerge in liberated areas

In north-eastern Ukraine, a counter-offensive has seen the nation's forces recapture swathes of territory, and drive out Russian troops.

But in the newly-liberated areas, relief and sorrow are intertwined - as accounts emerge of torture and killings during the long months of Russian occupation.

Artem, who lives in the city of Balakliya in the Kharkiv region told the BBC he was held by Russians for more than 40 days, and was tortured with electrocution.

Balakliya was liberated on 8 September after being occupied for more than six months. The epicentre of the brutality was the city's police station, which Russian forces used as their headquarters. read more
Magdalena Andersson: Swedish PM resigns as right-wing parties win vote

Sweden's prime minister says she will stand down after her government was defeated in Sunday's election.

Magdalena Andersson's centre-left coalition looks set to narrowly lose to a bloc of right-wing parties, 176 seats to 173, with 99% of the votes counted.

Moderate Party leader Ulf Kristersson is now expected to form a government.

The bloc includes the Sweden Democrats, a far-right party that has campaigned against rising gang shootings.

The final result is still to be confirmed after a recount, which is standard practice in Sweden. read more
Wagner Group: Head of Russian mercenary group filmed recruiting in prison

The founder of Russia's shadowy Wagner mercenary group has appeared in leaked footage attempting to recruit prisoners to fight in Ukraine.

In filmed footage, verified by the BBC, Yevgeniy Prigozhin can be seen addressing a large group of detainees.

Mr Prigozhin told prisoners their sentences would be commuted in exchange for service with his group.

The video would confirm long-running speculation that Russia hopes to boost its forces by recruiting convicts.

While Russian law does not allow commutation of prison sentences in exchange for mercenary service, Mr Prigozhin insisted that "nobody goes back behind bars" if they serve with his group. read more
Raymond Dearie: Special master named to oversee Donald Trump Florida files

US federal judge Raymond Dearie has been chosen to review the files seized in the FBI's search of former US President Donald Trump's Florida home.

Mr Dearie, 78, will be "special master" and decide whether any documents are off limits in any legal proceedings.

He had been proposed by Mr Trump's team and the US Department of Justice previously said it did not object.

The former US president is being investigated for his handling of classified materials. read more
Fury in Iran as young woman dies following morality police arrest

A 22-year-old Iranian woman has died days after being arrested by morality police for allegedly not complying with strict rules on head coverings.

Eyewitnesses said Mahsa Amini was beaten while inside a police van when she was picked up in Tehran on Tuesday.

Police have denied the allegations, saying Ms Amini had "suddenly suffered a heart problem".

It is the latest in a series of reports of brutality against women by authorities in Iran in recent weeks.

Ms Amini's family say that she was a healthy young woman with no medical conditions that would explain a sudden heart problem. read more
Ukraine war: Mass exhumations at Izyum forest graves site

In a pine forest at the edge of Izyum the stench of death filled the air as a mass exhumation got under way.

The earth is giving up its secrets. Ukrainian officials believe war crimes have been committed, which they are determined to document.

Around 100 Ukrainian emergency service workers wearing blue plastic coverings dug into the earth, opening makeshift graves.

They are trying to establish the cause of death of hundreds of people buried in a forest at the edge of the city, recently liberated by advancing Ukrainian forces.

Izyum, invaded in April, was used by Russia as a key military hub to supply its forces from the east. read more
Ukraine war: Power back on at huge nuclear plant in Zaporizhzhia

The UN's nuclear watchdog (IAEA) says Ukraine's huge Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant has begun receiving power from the national grid once again.

Shelling in the area damaged power lines connected to the plant.

All six of its reactors are in a state of cold shutdown, but the plant needs external power to cool its reactors and defend against the risk of a meltdown.

The IAEA says the situation of the plant, which is held by Russian forces, has improved but remains precarious. read more
Ukraine war: Grave sites prompt calls for tribunal over Russian killings

The European Union presidency has called for an international tribunal over Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The call, from the Czech Republic which currently holds the rotating presidency of the bloc, came after the discovery of hundreds of graves in Izyum, a town recently liberated by Ukrainian troops.

Many are said to be civilians, women and children among them.

"We stand for the punishment of all war criminals," Czech Foreign Minister Jan Lipavsky said.

Ukraine says it believes war crimes have been committed in Izyum, where 59 bodies have been exhumed so far - with more expected from the graves in a forest at the edge of the city. read more
Biden again says US would defend Taiwan if China attacks

US President Joe Biden has again said the US would defend Taiwan in the event of an attack by China.

Asked in a CBS interview if US troops would defend the island, Mr Biden said: "Yes, if in fact, there was an unprecedented attack".

The remarks prompted the White House to clarify that US policy had not changed.

Washington has long maintained a stance of "strategic ambiguity" - it does not commit to defending Taiwan, but also does not rule out the option. read more
Chinese official warns against touching foreigners after monkeypox case

A top Chinese health official has warned locals against touching foreigners, a day after China recorded its first monkeypox infection.

In a post on Weibo, the chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Wu Zunyou advised against "skin-to-skin contact with foreigners".

The post drew controversy, with some labelling it as racist.

Comments on the original post have since been disabled from the platform.

"In order to prevent possible monkeypox infection and as part of our healthy lifestyle, it is recommended that 1) you do not have direct skin-to-skin contact with foreigners," said Mr Wu on his Weibo page on Saturday. read more
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says monarchy offers Canada 'steadiness'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he doesn't see Canada breaking ties with the British Crown anytime soon.

The complexities of moving away from a constitutional monarchy are not what "Canadians are overly taken up with right now", he told the BBC.

He said he appreciated the "steadiness" of the current system.

Mr Trudeau is also facing controversy after a video captured him singing a song by British rock band Queen in a London hotel over the weekend.

The short video clip, which began circulating on social media late Sunday, shows the prime minister singing Bohemian Rhapsody as Quebec musician Gregory Charles plays the piano.

Mr Trudeau's remarks and support for the monarchy come as some debate its future in Canada in light of the Queen's death.

"There's a nice balance to the system we have that I think is going to continue to serve Canadians extraordinarily well," Mr Trudeau told the BBC's Today programme. read more
Turkey's Erdogan: Russia's Putin willing to end war

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said he believes Russia's leader is seeking an end to the war he began in Ukraine, and that a "significant step" will be made.

He said his impression from recent talks with Vladimir Putin was that he wanted to "end this as soon as possible".

Ukraine has recaptured swathes of its territory this month.

The Turkish leader indicated things were "quite problematic" for Russia.

Mr Erdogan spoke of having "very extensive discussions" with Mr Putin at a summit in Uzbekistan last week. read more
Ukraine war: West condemns Russian plans for 'sham' Ukraine vote

Western nations have condemned Moscow's plans to hold urgent so-called referendums in parts of Ukraine that are currently under Russian control.

The votes have been called by Russian-backed officials in four Ukrainian regions to ask whether they should become part of Russia.

The US, Germany and France have said they would never recognise the results of such "sham" ballots.

The Nato military alliance said the plans spelt an escalation in the war.

Plans to run polls for five days, starting on Friday, have been announced in the eastern regions of Luhansk and Donetsk - as well as Zaporizhzhia and Kherson in the south. read more
Putin calls up reservists for war in Ukraine

▪️President Putin says military reservists are to be sent to Ukraine as part of a partial mobilisation of Russian forces
▪️In a televised address to the nation, he said this was a necessary step to ensure Russian territorial integrity
▪️He accused the West of wanting to see Russia weakened and said a threat to retaliate further was "not a bluff"
▪️Meanwhile, Western nations have condemned Moscow's plans to hold so-called referendums in parts of Ukraine that are currently under Russian control
▪️The US, Germany and France have said they would never recognise the results of such "sham" ballots
▪️And world leaders are gathering in New York for a UN meeting - US President Biden and Ukraine's President Zelensky will speak later